Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day for the "Living " not the dead

Flowers galore at the cemetery all kinds of fresh, expensive to plastic flowers.Candles of different shapes and sizes.Tents ,umbrellas everywhere with sleeping mats ,tables and chairs,radios,game boards,foods for breakfast till midnight snacks.This is a typical scenario that starts as early as October 30 till November 2.Sometimes I really wonder when and where this kind of practice started among us Filipinos.Was it a tradition based from our Spanish or Chinese inherited culture?

We also did practiced all these but somehow felt later that I can still commemorate our loved ones even without going through traditional practice of being at the cemetery ,food preparation for the family for the whole day,struggling through traffic ,sitting under the tent through hot or wet weather conditions.Inconvenience of attending to personal necessities because every time you need to go to the comfort rooms there is a big line ahead of you.While in line your hoping for availability of water,and at least a clean and a real "comfort" room.When my sons are smaller I brought strollers and toys they can play so they will not suffer boredom.While some prefer to bring alcoholic drinks and playing cards to kill time.It is also a family reunion those alive are with you while those dead you are to visit.It is also a good business because everyone seems to be earning extra like parking fee charged at 45 pesos  same rate as in the malls.There are food stalls from Jollibee,Pizza hut,and other food vendors.Tents,tables & chairs rental available if you need one.Not to forget if you want to include your loved ones soul to be prayed during the mass there is a fee you must pay.Going all through these I think we have missed the point of remembering the souls being an all souls day celebration.Our present time is full of consumerism.Going back to the basics of sharing the life and times of our departed loved ones to the present generation is the essence of this holiday.

I have been there ,I have done that . Now that I am older I felt I don't need to go through all these. I will always remember my departed loved ones but I will rather spend my precious time with my family. I want to  have more happy times and good memories while I can.After all its all memories we will have to share and be remembered by when we are all gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment